Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Feeding the Freezer

Let's start this off with my cute daughters comment about us "Feeding the Freezer". Rebecca went to Cheyenne's after the baseball game on Saturday while my mom and I were cooking. Adam went to get them and when Adam said Grandma was at the house she wanted to know why, Adam's response was they were cooking to feed the freezer. Rebecca says, "Why are they feeding the freezer? It's not hungry."

This is what we got done this past week. Our focus was chicken and cheese. Ground beef will be posted next week!

I love freezer cooking because we can get a great deal on meat (or other items needed) and buy lots and then not need to purchase anything for awhile. I got the chicken I used (breasts) for 99 cents a pound - picked up about 15 pounds and have 4 pounds ready for the BBQ and then about 10-12 meals.

Okay... onto the meals.

We made:

Manicotti

IMG00325

Chicka-cotti

IMG00326

 Chicken Cordon Bleu

(sorry no picture)

Chicken Enchiladas

IMG00328

Hope this is inspiring ... go and cook something great for the freezer (it's hungry after all). I would love to see what you feed your freezer so if you post something let me know!

This is what I tackled this last week and it works for us! If you would like to see other Tackle It Tuesday post go here. And if you would like to see other Works for Me Wednesday Post go here.

6 comments:

Jennifer said...

Wrapping in foil is such a great idea! I have been wanting to really freezer cook a lot, but I didn't know how to store it. Thanks for the recipies and tips!

Tracey said...

Wow - those look great! I think I am inspired to do some freezer cooking! I'm going to check out some of your recipes. Have a great day!

Pressed Petals said...

I've thought about doing this.

Thanks for coming to my blog. you asked about the Google Ads. Basically, you get $ when people click on your ads. You have to reach $100 before they'll cut you a check. It took me 3-6 months. When I put the freebies and beg people to click it goes MUCH faster. I got just over $100. HTH

Judy @ Frugal at Home said...

Great job with the freezer cooking! I'm feeding 8, so I tend to do a lot of bulk cooking--browning lots of ground beef at one time, for instance. It really helps!

Jerralea said...

Thanks for the awesome recipes. I definitely want to try the Chickacotti. One question: if you're making a chickacotti for the freezer, do you cook it first and then freeze it, or just freeze it raw and thaw and cook when you're ready for it?

LunaMoonbeam said...

What an absolutely great idea! We eat a lot of Chinese food...when I had my baby a few months ago, I bought POUNDS of chicken and pork and made my poor MIL mix it all up with the right spices and seasonings, bag it up, and freeze it. Those bags turned up in the crockpot in chili, steamed over rice....everything. It was a LIFEsaver when she went home and left me to fend for myself!